Saturday, July 18, 2009

Just say "Yes!"

I have a condition. I looked it up online and can't find a name for it, but here is the scenario:

I walk into any business establishment to discuss terms of their services. Be it a bank, a gym or a salon it doesn't matter. Some wily employee sits me on the opposite side of his desk and this is when it hits - it doesn't matter what they say, what I am looking for or how badly I DON'T need it, once I am on the other side of that desk, they can pretty much talk me into anything! For years I wasn't allowed to make any contractual decisions, or give away any bank account information without my brother-in-law sitting next to me and agreeing. See, he doesn't have a problem negotiating terms and walking away if it doesn't meet the agreed upon need or budget like I do.

Earlier this week, Wednesday to be exact, I walked into a bank to make a deposit into a friends account. I had done this before with no problem, but at another branch. I seriously think it was like the "Personal Banker" saw me coming. He lept up, walked towards me and asked how he could help. A simple deposit, that is all I needed. Well, we sat down, me on one side of the desk and him on the other and before I knew it I had opened a new checking account, complete with a United Mileage Plus debit card. Oh gosh.

Meanwhile, my sister, who had dropped me at the bank just to go return a movie in the same shopping mall, was waiting patiently outside. Patiently turned to anxiously. Anxious turned to worry. My one small transaction took way longer (because I was filling out paperwork for my new checking account, and my free $100 opening bonus!). Jessica searched the aisles, glanced into the offices and couldn't find me. She even called my mom and started wondering what horrible thing could have happened to me. No, the banker didn't tell me that I had to get into the dark windowed van parked in the alley in order to open the bank account. I was fine, but I was taking a lot longer then expected.

On the upside, I have a great new checking account, an extra $100.00, a new personal banker who I may or may not have a crush on and have humbly been reminded that I am not old enough to make my own decisions solely. That is why I have friends and bro-in-laws to help!

1 comment:

michaelajaselle said...

Darcie - i love you!!
you ARE halarious! i hope you are enjoying being home - i miss you! Michaela