Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The sword and the pen . . .


Today we had 20 minutes to write on the question, "Is the pen really greater than the sword?" and here is what I came up with without further edits . . . image from http://photos.jpgmag.com/232899_78475_0be2350999_p.jpg


The sword may bring a moment of change, a fight or battle that attempts to settle something by taking life from the opposition, but the pen . . . the pen can bring life. The pen can move mountains that are buried deep in a soul. The use of the pen can change mindsets and open eyes. I have never heard of a story of war and violence that moved the world closer to Godliness. I have hardly heard a soldier tell his story without regret for what life was lost, but I have been inspired by the writings of people who stood up for justice. I have been moved to give my own life to causes greater than me because I know the names of great men and women of faith that changed the world. I have never studied a war that left beauty in its wake, but I’ve held the beautiful words of poets in my heart. I have sat with the Words of God in my hands and been moved to tears that, I believe, softened the hard ground of the world and my own heart. I have read and pondered stories of saints and stories of miracles that make me believe more fully in a God of Truth and Love. A sword can rarely bring deep conviction to a person’s soul, but the right words often do. Words of forgiveness can release a hardened criminal from his prison. Words of action can inspire a nation to give to its neighbor. Words of truth can show the depth of a matter and lead an entire tribe to freedom.
God communicates with us in so many ways. The sea speaks of His greatness. The mountains reach to His heavens. A song can touch a corner of our heart that was in darkness. A painting, hung casually on a blank wall can remind us of love and family. God can whisper to our spirits, show us in our dreams, and reach us in our darkest state because he is willing to communicate with us. And He can change the world by communicating with it, if we, His children in the world, are willing to express His heart, express His dream for our brothers and sisters and stand on His Word. “My heart overflows with a pleasing theme; as I address my verses to the king; my tongue is like the pen of a ready scribe.” Psalm 45:1

1 comment:

Marianne said...

beautiful d. absolutely beautiful.