Saturday, February 21, 2009

What is my cause?


I have been thinking about causes today. Those dedications of the heart that make life meaningful and take up all your time and energy but are absolutely worth it. What is my cause? I have been travelling the world, searching and finding so many unexpected things. My heart has been pulled one million directions and I have seen both absolute beauty and utter pain. I have considered dedicating my life to people groups, to issues of injustice, to working with others whose hearts and passions I admire and trust. Yet, something feels unfulfilled in all this. I have found my niche in writing and research and am still learning such things, but I desperately want to commit my writing to things worthwhile. I want to pen the stories that the world needs to know because they are symbols of both the best and the worst of humankind.

I read a story in National Geographic today, the February 2009 edition, on North Koreans fleeing their country and eventually ending up in South Korea via China, Laos and Thailand. It was brilliant. The stories of the individuals involved were honoring and descriptive of their plight. They brought awareness while not shedding off hope and painted a picture of the human heart to overcome, and the ongoing struggle of so many on earth. I want to write such brilliance. Not because I want the limelight, but because many people have stories that need to be told, because I believe they honor God in their resilience and attitudes and because if we, whoever you want to define "we" as, will do what we are called to do, maybe the world will be a brighter place. "Commit your way to the LORD; trust in him and he will do this: He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn, the justice of your cause like the noonday sun." Psalm 37:5-7
I travel in 6 days to a country with ongoing problems and people of formidable perseverance. I pray, may my precious Father God hear me, that I can tell the stories of what I see and experience there with absolute excellence. May we all find our cause and pour our lives and souls into the pot that will be poured out in healing. AMEN . . .

No comments: