Wednesday, March 4, 2009

March, Zimbabwe and Life in General


The last update letter I sent out:


Where to start, where to start?


Life in South Africa has been an exciting mix of challenges, revelation, and inspiration. I wouldn't have expected such a large amount of life changing understanding to be crammed into so short a time frame! I am amazed at the way the world looks from this angle. So often Africa is seen as a dangerously needy continent in a constant state of turmoil. AIDS, poverty, hunger, disease, war, corruption . . . the list goes on and a quick scan of news headlines proves it all right. But I have seen a different and admittedly surprising side of Africa!


I just got back from a 4 day trip to Zimbabwe. This country could, perhaps, be seen as a worst case scenario for a once thriving and prosperous land. Many books have been written on its tumultuous history and the key players in inspiring those gruesome stories are still on the scene. The president, Robert Mugabe, is still in the habit of blaming the British for all things wrong in the country and has even recently threatened all the remaining white farmers in a public address. I mistakingly thought all this was just a part of history, but his ongoing seizure of farmland for "redistribution", his corrupt government, the distroyed infrastructure of the country, the fact that nearly a quarter of the country has AIDS and cholera is sweeping through high-density areas is what the people of Zimbabwe are dealing with every day. I couldn't have a conversation in the country without someone mentioning how an aid agency was the only way they were continuing to survive, and those are a source of corruption, too. Despite all this, the conversations I had were heavily weighted in hope for the rebuilding of Africa's "bread basket" and the possibility of change. Life is moving forward.


You know that classic question,"If you could have dinner with anyone in the world who would it be?" After this short trip to Zimbabwe I know my answer. Friday night we sat around a large dining room table surrounded by poets and artists, musicians and philosophers all planted in Zimbabwe. Some of them locals who were contemplating the revolution of the country through thier message and the balance of free expression in an oppressed land. Others transplants who had found their current home in this fertile land and dedicated themselves to the well being of the people. I find it hard to express just what I was thinking and have been thinking about since these long finished conversations and question sessions. It could probably all be summed up in a simple question. What if?


What if people rose up for what is right and just?
What if we saw each other as valuable and lived our lives accordingly?
What if our voices were the powerful weapons we longed for?
What if this day was the last day of suffering and the first day of rebuilding?
And that is why I am here. To learn the questions, knowing I may never know or see the answers. I am right where I am supposed to be and there are many stories to be told.


Upcoming Travel
I am in Cape Town until the end of this month, then the plan is to be off to Uganda and Rwanda to discover what people are talking about there and gather up the vision to be dispursed to all who will read it. Those travels should take me to the end of May. In June I will fly to Dublin and spend two weeks in the country of my ancestors, digging deeper and experiencing great things. I get back to Colorado June 17th.


Communication
darcienolan.blogspot.com for random thoughts, rambles and photos
noland@sfreserves.org for secure emails
darcie.lynns@gmail.com for all emails
PO BOX 129, Muizenberg 7950, South Africa for snail mail


Finances
Checks made out to Darcie Nolan, sent to: 5458 Majestic Drive, Colorado Springs, CO 80919. Upcoming travel expenses are much needed as Zimbabwe cost more than expected and a surprise required purchase of Microsoft Student and Office 2007 hit the account (can't have my computer freeze up mid story!) I want to say thank you to everyone who has given this year. I am amazed that each part of the journey has been covered and I feel very supported in prayer and well taken care of. Thank you so much for your generosity.


So much love to all of you!
Darcie Nolan

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Bravo to your efforts out there. and you're in our thoughts and prayers.

We work with an organization that's been instrumental in helping developing countries. We currently sponsor 10 thousand children in 6 different developing countries and we're on track to sponsor 1 MILLI0N more by 2013! We've also built 2 hospitals, 15 schools and 4 biogas digesters.

Have a look at our website if you get a chance

http://www.gotrivani.net

We're building the Largest Humanitarian Army in the WORLD...and we could always use a few more soldiers!

Cheers,
Kenny & Erica Jones

Anonymous said...

What happens June 17th when you are back "home"??