Saturday, October 10, 2009

Acquiring Information

If you have heard of the StrengthsFinder book/test you know that it measures your top five strengths, out of 64, based on your response to a long, tedious computer test. (I wonder if there is a strength given to those who just don't finish the test?!) If you didn't know that, I just told you and you can buy the book and get a code and take the test and find out what you should focus your energy on, strengths wise. The argument is that trying to fix weaknesses doesn't improve your ability to contribute to anything - work, relationships, or hobbies. Rather, focusing on what you are good at, and getting better, leads you into a life where you will be most "successful" or at least really good at what you are doing, depending on your definition of successful.

Three of my top five strengths involve information. Input (Gathering Info), Intellection (Thinking about Info), and Learner. (The other two are Restoration and Connectedness if you were wondering).

This test has helped me understand that I am not a fickle, flighty person who just jumps around from thing to thing, uprooted and irresponsible. Rather, I now see that I am wired to search, attain and process information. I am Google. Walking.

No comments: