Thursday, April 16, 2009

In the Meantime

I realize that the last few blog entries and the facebook photos make it look like I spend all my time eating, drinking and going to concerts, so in an effort to be unbiased in the portrayal of my own life, I thought I would add here what I do when I am not eating, drinking and going to concerts . . .

Currently I am working on a project that is close to my heart. South Africa doesn't have any law against human trafficking. Criminals, if they are caught, are charged with a crime like kidnapping, which honestly doesn't cover the extent of what crimes against trafficked people look like. Many groups are working in the sphere of trafficking to try and make people more aware, get legislation passed and shut down this form of slavery.

I approached one of the largest Christian magazines in South Africa about writing an article for their readers concerning trafficking and they responded enthusiastically to the idea. The truth is, more people need to be aware and need to know that they can make a difference by spreading the word and working in their own sphere of influence. One of the biggest blessings about this is that the magazine gave me 900 words, which isn't a feature, but isn't a half page blurb either. So, earlier this week we met with another woman, Tonya, working to bring awareness to those most at risk and today she sent me the contact info of a bunch of people to talk to about where South Africa is in the process of stopping trafficking.

Because South Africa is what they call a "source" and a "destination" country, (meaning trafficked persons are both brought to, transported in and sent out of the country) the vision to end trafficking here is a big one, but most of the people say they are seeing significant results and positive feedback that gives them the hopeful boost to keep working and keep involving others in the challenge.

While there are many factors that contribute to a country "supporting" trafficking, I find the most heartbreaking to be that those most at risk simply don't know that what is happening is wrong. Tonya said they often just look at it as one more oppression or crime against them in the many that make up their lives and worldview. Again and again it is the value we place on life that makes or breaks the treatment of others and how we decide to respond to a situation.

There are many more minor things going on and research to be done, but this is where my heart is right now. If you think of it, look up some facts on trafficking. You never know when you will be the one who could help someone from being taken advantage of. And, no matter where you are, don't think it isn't happening in your city.
Ignorance is only bliss for the ignorant.

No comments: