Thursday, May 14, 2009

"To Grow"


One of the projects I am working on right now is a Sub-Saharan Youth Devotional. This Bible study is printed every year for teens between the ages of 13 and 16 with Scripture Union. Various writers are assigned weeks of the year and specific scripture to cover during that time frame, keeping the focus on youth and making it fun and lively.


This is the hardest project I have worked on. Why? Here are my reasons:

1. The Pressure: I want so badly for the youth of Africa to experience the truth of God and I am totally comfortable sharing my own revelations to help them get there. The pressure to figure out how to say it right, what to focus on and what examples to use is sometimes too great. I just shut down.

2. The Intimidation: I am responsible for the first three days of the year and a week in March 2010 where we cover some chapters in James. If you don't understand the intimidation of covering the first three days of the year, I don't know how to explain it to you. It is like make or break. Will they keep reading? Will their parents even buy the book based on what I write? Will they be inspired to seek God? Geesh.

3. The Possibility: Say I do a great job. The Possibilities are endless. Future leaders, teachers, pastors, moms and dads will be reading this. God could show up and give them deep revelation of the things of His heart. I pray my words do not hinder the spirit, but allow him free reign.

4. The Love: I love youth. I love the opportunities in front of them and they way God uses them so beautifully. They inherently carry the potential to turn the world upside down (or right side up) with their words and courage and purity. I want them to know that, but to not be able to sit with them and say it is hard.


So, through this project of trying to help the youth of Africa grow, I am growing in my trust and understanding of who God is. It is a great opportunity and if I didn't believe in the cause so much, I wouldn't walk through the pressure and intimidation and aching of hope for this generation.

No comments: