Saturday, May 30, 2009

Top 10 Travel Essentials

When a person travels a lot, there comes a point where specific items become "essential" to making the trip comfortable. There is a certain learning curve with long journey's that cannnot be taught, just realized through experience and acceptance of one's own boundaries. As I prepare to leave Monday, I am gathering, charging and organizing my essentials:

1. Gum - 2 packs in the carry-on because my seat neighbors won't like how many times I will want to get up to brush my teeth.

2. An organized carry-on - I hate looking like an idiot at the check in counter or searching through my bags on the plane.

3. iPOD - charged, synced with the best and newest and easily accessible.

4. Passport - okay that should have been number one . . .

5. Book/Journal/Pens - These aren't always used, but they are like a security blanket to me. If I don't have them I feel like I have missed something. It would be as bad as forgetting to put on pants.

6. Wrinkle free attire - I immensely dislike looking like I rolled straight out of bed when I am travelling. Sure way to get tagged as an American while travelling internationally is to wear sweats and tennis shoes and carry a pillow with you.

7. Hygenic items of various uses - teeny tiny toothpaste so it doesn't get taken at security, teeny tiny hand sanitizer, toothbrush, baby wipes, and basic make-up so I look awake at some point.

8. All liquids already packed in a zip lock bag in the well organized carry-on that can be pulled out and shown at security. (Admittedly with the partial goal of looking like you know what you are doing instead of confused and irritated that the NSA wants to hijack your deoderant)

9. Easily removable shoes that serve two purposes: not holding up the line when you have to take them off so they can be checked for bombs and also not falling off when/if running is required for any reason.

10. Cup-o-soup - because airlines just don't feed you like they used to.

1 comment:

Marie said...

Don't ever fly with Turkish Airline..just a note.